NetworkManager & PKCS#11 remoting

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Jun 22 10:26:11 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-06-22 at 11:53 +0200, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:

> On second view we may not need any gnutls changes for module-path. If
> that module is already initialized (e.g., already registered via p11-
> kit), then only p11_kit_uri_match_module_info() need to consider that
> information.

That isn't the interesting use case for module-path. The use case we
were discussing here would be to load p11-kit-remote.so when it
*wouldn't* otherwise have been loaded.

And we really do want it to be explicitly requested by module-path or
some other means, rather than *only* by an environment variable that
anyone can set before invoking a program. I'd be *really* wary of that.

> For remote-fd, it would require changes to every application using p11-
> kit (engine_pkcs11, etc). I don't see how it could work without hard-
> coding it to every application.

Not application, surely? Only in GnuTLS, engine_pkcs11 and NSS. And the
latter doesn't have *any* modern PKCS#11 URI support or p11-kit
integration anyway; right now the best advice for distribution packages
is "Do Not Build Against NSS". But we *can* fix them all.

--
dwmw2