libnss replacement

Andrej Valek andrej.valek at siemens.com
Thu Jun 6 10:06:45 UTC 2019

Thank you for the clarification.

I have moved forward a little bit. I have made a decision, that using
only one database makes sense.

Currently I am using trust (from p11-kit) to add new certificate into
NSS database. A /usr/lib/libnssckbi.so ->
/usr/lib/pkcs11/p11-kit-trust.so is making a background accessing for my
application (p11-kit   = /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt). But system
ca-certificates are still required for other applications, which are
using openssl directly.

I want to create only one NSS-base database for the whole system and get
rid of /etc/ssl/certs (if it's possible). I want to fill this nss
database with system ca-certificates during build-time. This database
should be accessible with all applications including openssl.

Is it possible to remove /etc/ssl/certs and replace them lets say with
libp11 (https://github.com/OpenSC/libp11)? Correct me If I am wrong, but
openssl -> libp11 (pkcs#11) -> p11-kit-trust (p11-kit) -> NSS database
(including system certificates) could make this.

Is it possible to do this? If yes, how?

Thank you,
Andrej