[packagekit] PackageKit Apt backend patch

Tom Parker palfrey at tevp.net
Mon Dec 3 15:12:24 PST 2007

On 03/12/2007, Mario <mario.danic at gmail.com> wrote:
> here's a quick patch for Apt backend written by Michael Vogt.
> It mainly cleans up the code by removing duplicated functionality
> for code which already exists in python-apt and it's "apt" module.
>
> Anyway, all the apt folks ... let's collaborate :)

Haven't had a detailed look, but looks pretty good from a first
glance. I'll have a better look at some point tommorrow.

One of the big remaining issues with the use of python-apt is how to
get it to install (or just figure out the dependencies for) a
particular version of a particular package. Using the standard
interfaces for it, it appears to be pretty easy to get dependencies
for and install a package, but *only* if you want the "default"
version. If someone can write some code to do the equivalent of
markInstall() for arbitrary versions of a package (from the list of
available) ones, then this would be *very* helpful.

Tom