[packagekit] EULA Prompts

Donnie Berkholz dberkholz at gentoo.org
Mon Dec 3 15:25:59 PST 2007

On 18:23 Mon 03 Dec     , Richard Hughes wrote:
>  * We silently agree to the licence when downloading and installing the
> product, and show a Message() post transaction that we need to review
> the licence and uninstall the software if we do not agree to it (legally
> questionable)

This sounds exactly like a shrinkwrap license to me, which seems to be
fairly well accepted, at least in the U.S. It feels technically dirty,
though it's also pretty much what Gentoo does.

>  * We install the package, and special ErrorCode which we have to agree
> to for a requeue. If we agree, then the transaction is requeued with
> additional flags to indicate that the licence has been agreed to. Of
> course, nothing stops a client program just doing the install with the
> extra flag and not showing the licence at all.

I prefer this over the hidden packages or forcing people to another
tool.

>  * We add the licences to a licence database and the user agrees or
> disagrees on each one prior to even searching. If the user agrees then
> the available licence filter is taken away. This is nicest from a UI
> point of view as the user can decide "I want only free stuff apart from
> things from livna or vmware" and the search results reflect this. Of
> course, this requires the most interaction with the packaging native
> backend and would be impossible for most if not all of what we have
> already.

What I'd like to do is search for packages, then decide whether I'm
willing to accept their licenses at install time. It's very frustrating
when packages don't appear if I haven't explicitly told them not to
appear.

> What I want to make very clear is that we can't (and won't) support
> scripts that just expect input on STDIN - they are just to broken to
> workaround. If a script needs input then we should just error out and
> Message() the user that the package needs fixing and they should report
> it to the vendor. [We need to add this functionality to PkSpawn - anyone
> got any ideas how to detect a script waiting on stdin?]

Check what's reading the fd?

Thanks,
Donnie