[packagekit] PackageKit Apt backend patch

Tom Parker palfrey at tevp.net
Tue Dec 4 07:43:07 PST 2007

On 04/12/2007, Mario <mario.danic at gmail.com> wrote:
> However, new Pidgin also pulls in a lot of libraries which broke ABI, and
> is perhaps even compiled with never libc which gets system in trouble.

Depends partly on good dependencies in the distro, and partially on
the amount of stuff depended on. If you've got the former it shouldn't
be possible to break the system entirely (and if you don't, that's the
distro's problem, not ours). There is still always the possibility
that an upgrade will pull in "too many" things, but I'd call that an
issue to be solved in the application calling PK, which should
probably be doing some sort of feedback to the users to indicate the
level of changes a particular install will do.

> Anyway, Tom, are you ever on IRC? Me and Michael and probably gonna do
> some work today again, and I think we'll get another contributor for apt
> backend ;)

I'm not usually, but I might well popup in an hour or two. Look for 'palfrey'.

Tom