[packagekit] Questions about Get Depends and Get Requires

Matthias Clasen matthias.clasen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 08:06:59 PST 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 3:00 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 08:02 -0700, Boyd Timothy wrote:
> > 1) I noticed that libzypp doesn't just return package dependencies,
> > but also single libraries and files.  Some of these libraries can be
> > provided by multiple packages.  Do any other PackageKit backends have
> > to deal with that?  ...and if so, what's the recommended thing to do?
> > Just return pacakges?
>
> Yes, just packages. The other stuff isn't important to PackageKit.

Well, it is important to PackageKit in the sense that installing a
package that requires
libfoo.so.1 _will_ drag in some package that provides libfoo.so.1. I
guess it is debatable whether you need to represent that in the list
of dependencies in the ui. But quite a few package have the bulk of
their dependencies pulled in in this way, so if the dependency list in
the ui only ever displays explicit package requires, then it could be
a bit misleading. It would e.g for most gnome apps not reflect that
they require gtk...