[packagekit] yum backend free filter

Robin Norwood rnorwood at redhat.com
Fri Dec 21 13:18:19 PST 2007

Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 18:15 -0500, Robin Norwood wrote:
>> What do you think about adding a little 'free/not free' symbol or
>> somesuch on the package details pane of pk-application, along with the
>> license field?
>
> Sane. Is there a FSF "free" symbol we could use that users would
> understand? A tooltip would be a must if we use an image.

Weeell, there's a little problem.  Turns out that while all of the code
licenses that are Fedora approved are also FSF approved, but some of the
documentation/Font/Content licenses that are ok with Fedora are either
not FSF-free, or haven't been analyzed one way or another.  So, the list
as it is now isn't quite a list of FSF licenses.

So, we can't really advertise it as such to the user.

We could:

o Just call it Free, and not 'Free Software Foundation Free', and not
link to the FSF at all.

o Have two lists, one 'Free Software Foundation Free' and another
'Mostly-Free' (or some other, better term).  The Free filter operates on
both, but when we get around to showing a 'Freeness' status, we display
them differently.

o Stick with the 'Free software free' definition, and get rid of the
ones on the Fedora page that aren't have a 'No' or '?' in the FSF Free?
column.

Your call.

-RN

--