[packagekit] dbus problem

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 15:45:15 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 14:27 -0800, Daniel Nicoletti wrote:
> I'm trying to help the development of apt backend.
> But I got a problem that I cannot solve, since I'm not very familiar
> with dbus.
> When I do a command like these I got an error, and my dbus is running.
> My knetworkmanager is running :)
>
> pkcon search name dd
>
> ** ERROR **: This program cannot start until you start the dbus system service.
> aborting...
> Aborted

This is the codepath that is used, pk-main.c,ln200:

	/* check dbus connections, exit if not valid */
	system_connection = dbus_g_bus_get (DBUS_BUS_SYSTEM, &error);
	if (error) {
		pk_warning ("%s", error->message);
		g_error_free (error);
		g_error ("This program cannot start until you start "
			   "the dbus system service.\n"
			   "It is <b>strongly recommended</b> you reboot "
			   "your computer after starting this service.");
	}

This shows me that the error is because dbus_g_bus_get failed, possibly
due to a security config issue on your machine. It could also the dbus
system activation stuff is breaking in obscure ways.

What version dbus have you got? And please include the output of
packagekit-bugreport.sh, thanks.