[packagekit] gnome-packagekit flames^Wreview

Matthias Clasen matthias.clasen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 07:03:35 PST 2007

On Dec 31, 2007 6:33 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

> >  o  There's an "Add/Remove Software" in the System->Administration
> >     menu. This menu item should be in the bottom of the Applications
> >     menu instead (just like pirut).
>
> Well, I would argue that installing and removing software /is/ system
> administration rather than anything special enough to get a menu root
> position. What was the rationale to making pirut a root level menu item?
> Surely we should just reserve that spot for the simple "application
> chooser" that we have yet to built.

Yeah, certainly an application chooser would be better in that place.

> >       Also, I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be in the Applications->System
> >       Tools menu. Suggest to use a verb instead (it is really an action
> >       and not a tool) and place it in the System menu. E.g. have a
> >       "Update this system" right next to the "Lock Screen", "Log
> >       Out davidz" and "Suspend System" items.
>
> Well, the point is that normal users won't ever have to use this tool as
> the updates will just be done automatically.

Thats a valid point.

> >  Also, to please the HIG nazis and make it easier on the
> >       eyes, move the Help button so it's aligned on the left, further
> >       away from the action buttons, e.g.
> >
> >          [Help]               [Cancel] [Update System]
>
> Do I have to split these up in an hbox for this or is it button box
> hint?

Use the "secondary" child property. Adding

                <packing>
                  <property name="secondary">True</property>
                </packing>

to the child in the glade file will do the right thing.

> Yes, this is a bug I've mentioned a couple of times on the list before:
> sometimes the yum backend does not emit a "Package" signal telling us
> what it downloaded or is installing. It's a yum backend problem.

Here I'll mention again that it would be very useful to have some testsuite,
maybe just a bunch of tarred up yum repositories, so that such situations can
be reproduced and fixed.

> No, if you keep the application open then the application manages the
> notifications and messages, not the tray. The tray libnotify messages
> are only for when the calling program did not exist or has already quit.

I don't think that is really the case. E.g if I start
pk-update-viewer, I just see a
naked progress bar, but to learn what I am waiting for, I have to look up to the
status icon. I think the statusbar in pk-update-viewer (and
pk-application) should
display the same information (icon + text) that you show in the status icon.
Also, a little cursor change would help.

One case I found where the application doesn't display any feedback is
if the daemon is waiting for the yum lock. The status icon says
"Waiting", but the app
does nothing, not even a progress bar...

Matthias