[packagekit] gnome-packagekit flames^Wreview

Matthias Clasen matthias.clasen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 10:26:36 PST 2007

On Dec 31, 2007 12:57 PM, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:

> > Well, I would argue that installing and removing software /is/ system
> > administration rather than anything special enough to get a menu root
> > position. What was the rationale to making pirut a root level menu item?
> > Surely we should just reserve that spot for the simple "application
> > chooser" that we have yet to built.
>
> Curious; how would that differ from "Add/Remove Software"? Why would I
> use one over the other? (IOW: who are you designing for?)

It would be application-centric, as opposed to package-centric, and
would probably use the menu hierarchy instead of package groups.

> Btw, suggest to introduce nomenclature and stick with it; e.g. what
> comes out of Bodhi should be referred to as an "Advisory".

One point to notice about advisories is that they can include several packages.
I noticed that this information gets lost in the packagekit ui, where
every row is
a single package. Or at least it appeared that way to me. How does
packagekit handle multi-package advisories ?

> So maybe you shouldn't do a release with such dire bugs present? I know
> all about the "release early, release often" mentality and it's fine
> but.. really.. I think things like that qualify as release blockers. It
> just makes the product as a whole feel very unfinished and unpolished.

Come on, software is never finished. And while annoying, this is
certainly not a release-stopping bug for a development release. We are
not talking about 1.0 here...

> I'd initially focus on making the software updater work really well. I
> think one nice solution for this is to make the "Software Update
> Viewer" (e.g. what I'd call "Update System") a task driven wizard
> interface (e.g. GtkAssistant) that looks like this

This sounds very interesting, indeed.