[packagekit] Character encoding woes

James Bowes jbowes at dangerouslyinc.com
Wed Nov 7 20:54:10 PST 2007

Hi all:

The package iwl3945-firmware in Fedora contains a copyright symbol in
the description. By default when writing to a pipe python will encode
in ascii, raising an exception when it hits this character. We can get
around this by using some hacks to wrap sys.stdout/stderr in
codecs.getwriter('utf=8'), but the backend or frontend does not
display the results.

I'm guessing this will require changing some things from vanilla
character pointers to unicode strings, but I'm not sure. Anyone have
any ideas?

-James