[packagekit] Multilib problems again? [Was: Re: yum requirements ...]

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Thu Nov 8 01:26:35 PST 2007

On 2007-11-07, 22:52 GMT, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Have a look at the attached UI, which I've just commited into
> gnome-packagekit; 2d7628f0e2aea5acc6de9c7073e4b85e1c43ada6
>
> I guess we just do something like this for pkcon. I'm no console dude,
> so I'm not sure how to ask for confirmation. The logic can certainly
> stay the same as the GUI program.

While testing this new functionality with pk-application on my
x86_64 office computer -- there are many stupid packages
installed on my computer, and then I found avahi-qt3 (I have no
idea, why I have installed, probably some dependency of some
-devel package).  I clicked ``Remove'' and I got again that silly
``something depends on it'' error message.  I thought that this
is some kind of problem with your code, but then I run yum remove
avahi-qt3 and I got this:

[matej at hubmaier ~]$ sudo yum remove avahi-qt3
[ ... yum goo removed ...]
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package avahi-qt3.i386 0:0.6.21-6.fc8 set to be erased
---> Package avahi-qt3.x86_64 0:0.6.21-6.fc8 set to be erased
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

 Package              Arch    Version       Repository  Size
Removing:
 avahi-qt3            i386    0.6.21-6.fc8  installed    17 k
 avahi-qt3            x86_64  0.6.21-6.fc8  installed    20 k

Transaction Summary
Install      0 Package(s)
Update       0 Package(s)
Remove       2 Package(s)

Is this ok [y/N]: n
Exiting on user Command
Complete!
[matej at hubmaier ~]$

So, apparently there is something with multilib that PK cannot
do. Although, on the other hand, it looks like PK knows about
%arch because both pkcon and pk-application show architecture of
the packages and they show both i386 and x86_64 packages of
avahi-qt3, but apparently there is some problem with removing it.

Any ideas?

Matěj