[packagekit] Adding a recursive flag to GetDepends and GetRequires

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Fri Nov 9 04:27:32 PST 2007

2007/11/8, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com>:
> I do understand why some distros might want this "feature". For example
> if you were installing epiphany and the transaction was forced to remove
> galeon, i.e. the update or install removes other software that the user
> may care about.

What about distros where certain packages are split into subpackages
with plugins and stuff and what about the common "if I want to install
foobrowser, will it pull a ton of crap that stays on my system after I
remove foobrowser" scenario?

That's how Windows works - you install software, uninstall it and tons
of files, services and registry entries remain.

Imagine you are a KDE user who wants to try postr, which installs
nautilus-python which in turn pulls nautilus depending on the whole
GNOME desktop.

Now - postr shows it is a 100kb package but installing it takes a
whole day on a slow link and in the end shows a nice "disk full" error
before even installing anything.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution