[packagekit] exclude some upgrades

Matthias Clasen matthias.clasen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 10:11:29 PST 2007

On Nov 12, 2007 12:58 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

> We can't and shouldn't add this interaction into PackageKit - it should
> be fixed in one of two ways:
>
> 1) Repositories shouldn't be pushed is they don't depsolve.

You know how realistic it is to expect repositories to be always 100%
consistent
during development, in particular when throwing 3rd party repositories into the
mix...

> 2) yum should auto-ignore packages that don't depsolve.

That doesn't make much sense. It is the combination of installed package plus
available updates as a whole that is inconsistent. There usually is
not a  single
"package that doesn't depsolve".

> This isn't a PackageKit problem; rawhide is very unstable and applying
> the same logic to new user installing software and developers trying to
> work around a broken development repo is just too different in my
> opinion.

Fair enough. packagekit won't be very useful as an update tool in rawhide then,
but I can live with that.

Would you consider a "install only this one package"
button ?