[packagekit] exclude some upgrades

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 13:49:36 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 22:39 +0100, Oliver Gerlich wrote:
> Richard Hughes schrieb:
> > On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 11:46 +0100, Matej Cepl wrote:
> >> OK, this is probably all fault of using Fedora Rawhide which is messy.
> >> However, with yum I could do yum upgrade --exclude=something, but neither
> >> pkcon nor pk-update-viewer (to the best of my knowledge) doesn't have
> >> anything like exclude. Would it be possible to click on items in the pk-
> >> update-viewer list and check exclude for that package (similar to what
> >> pup does, actually)?
> [...]
> > The only way I think this makes sense is to have a "Update just this
> > package" button on the update detail for users that want "I only want to
> > try out the gimp update" although the use case for this seems slim
> > indeed. Yell if you want this, this would take a matter of minutes to
> > add.
>
> Another use case is selective update because of bandwidth limitations...
> Th Ubuntu update viewer has a checkbox for every package; so if I'm on a
> machine with dial-up, I tick off all nice-to-have updates and
> unimportant security updates (mainly large unused packages like
> openoffice), so the download shrinks from 150MB to 5MB :-) Next time I
> come to that machine, I bring these large packages on USB stick and
> install manually.

Hmm. Also a valid use case, but see below.

> This method is quite ugly, but it works at least. If you find better
> ways around this (background downloading/traffic shaping integrated with
> dial-on-demand, automatic exclusion of large unimportant updates...)
> this may not be necessary anymore; but so far I'd appreciate if the
> update viewer allows to tick off updates manually.

Well, in yum we already throttle the download, so this might be the best
thing - certainly letting user choose what updates to install gets very
messy when you have to put a layer of depsolving into the equation also.

I think we should try to fix this in clever ways, like only update
security updates when on a slow connection.