[packagekit] Signed packages again again

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Nov 15 15:02:57 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 22:44 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > I don't particular like the term "untrusted" but I suck at naming and
> > couldn't come up with something better. Thoughts?
>
> Trusted is better than signed i guess.

OTOH, "trusted" is a loaded word. I'm a big fan of verbosity so
'allow-unchecked-signature' may be better. Thinking more about it,
instead of duplicating each of

 .install
 .localinstall
 .update-package
 .update-system

how about just checking for the authorization

 .allow-unchecked-signature

The downside here is that in the worst case the user will see two auth
dialogs; one for .allow-unchecked-signature and one for the action he's
really trying to do. The alternative would be

 .install
 .localinstall
 .update-package
 .update-system
 .install-allow-unchecked-signature
 .localinstall-allow-unchecked-signature
 .update-package-allow-unchecked-signature
 .update-system-allow-unchecked-signature

which is a bit verbose... Thoughts?

     David