[packagekit] Wrong commit :(

James Bowes jbowes at dangerouslyinc.com
Wed Nov 21 08:03:03 PST 2007

Howdy:

On 11/21/07, S.Çağlar Onur <caglar at pardus.org.tr> wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> ~10 days ago my development box's disk passed away and i just recovered from
> my backups.
>
> After pushed the following commit;
>
> commit f4583b802688f1392bff44f356a7e1f9a4d2dd15
> Author: S.Çağlar Onur <caglar at bankai.(none)>
> Date:   Wed Nov 21 16:10:43 2007 +0200
>
>     Add .gitignore to zypp backend
>
> i realized i forgot to export GIT_AUTHOR_NAME and GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL in .bashrc,
> i'm still a newbie with git so can anybody tell me if there is a way to
> correct this one?

Had you not pushed the commit outside of your own repository, you
could have used git reset HEAD^ to remove it (assuming it was the
topmost commit) but keep the changes in your working tree, then
recommit. As it is now in the wild, and given that the only changes
would be the metadata around the commit, it's ok to leave it as is. If
the commit itself was bad (ie a missing file or diff hunk), you could
use git revert to record a commit that undid those changes, then
recommit.

-James