[packagekit] GPG keys

Robin Norwood rnorwood at redhat.com
Wed Oct 3 06:58:22 PDT 2007

Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> writes:

>> > Or rather: PK_ERROR_ENUM_GPG_FAILURE
>>
>> Yes, that.
>
> Which probably needs to be renamed to be abstract.... ;-)

Yup.  'signature' is probably the right generic term.

>> "SignatureRequired"?
>> "NeedSignature"?
>> "PackageSignatureImportRequest"?
>
> Ultimately, the backends will have repo controls, like:
>
> a(s=rid,s=description)=GetRepoList()
> RepoEnable(s=rid,s=value)
> RepoSetData(s=rid,s=data,s=value)
>
> So maybe RepoAuthenticationRequired, RepoAuthRequired or
> RepoValidateRequired would be best.

RepoSignatureRequired, or RepoSigRequired maybe...

'signature' is the best generic term, I think.

>> I have little knowledge of how other packaging systems handle
>> signatures, so it's hard for me to know what needs to be abstracted, and
>> what the full set of data might be available in a
>> "PackageSignatureImportRequest" for the various backends.  I was just
>> going to go with what yum provides, and let others add to that.  It
>> looks like yum deals with the key's url, userid, keyid, and timestamp.
>
> What does userid and timestamp convey?

It's the userid "Robin Norwood (Red Hat, Inc.) <rnorwood at redhat.com>"
and time stamp (creation date, IIRC) of the gpg key used to sign the
package.  You'll want to show all four bits of info to the user when
asking her to import the key.

>> > Hmm. I'm not so worried about round trips actually, the interaction with
>> > the user is going to be the slowest part by miles, and you'll want to be
>> > able to approve/deny each one. Plus you only have to do this once, ever.
>>
>> Well, once per repository, but really the most Fedora users ever
>> encounter is two or maybe three.  (Livna, et al)
>
> Sure, but updates and fedora should already be added. Livna is the only
> one this should apply to.

Maybe.  IIRC, Fedora still doesn't import the GPG key until the first
time you run yum (or pirut, or PackageKit).  Regardless, there shouldn't
ever be more than a couple.

-RN

--
Robin Norwood