[packagekit] GetUpdates

Justin Haygood jhaygood at reaktix.com
Fri Oct 5 07:48:25 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 10:44 -0400, Ken VanDine wrote:
> For the conary backend, refresh cache and get updates are completely
> unrelated, since we don't look at the cache for updates.  However, I
> do agree refreshing cache should be the first operation, and let it
> run periodically.  I would also like a way to manually trigger get
> updates.  Perhaps in pk-update-icon, add a 3rd item for "Look for
> updates".
>
> Also, people have complained about the icon coming and going,
> confusing.  Perhaps we really should just leave the icon in the
> systray, and allow all the actions to be launched from there.
>
> --Ken

Good example of an updater which does this is the openSUSE updater for
GNOME. It has options for "Add/Remove Update Sources", "Preferences",
and "Check Now" (as well as "Quit"). Fairly nice UI.

The Code is available at:
http://svn.opensuse.org/svn/zypp/trunk/updater-gnome/ if anyone wants to
take a look.