[packagekit] GNOME summit and more about GPG keys

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Wed Oct 10 07:34:21 PDT 2007

2007/10/10, Robin Norwood <rnorwood at redhat.com>:
> Adrien BUSTANY <madcat at mymadcat.com> writes:
> > Can't you do a search like "what package does provides the file
> > /usr/gimp/plugins/xxx" with yum ? If not, it would be handy since rpm
> > does it with -qf...
> That's true, with yum/rpm because rpm provides file deps - but:
>
> o The yum/rpm guys want to move *away* from those, because they're a big
> part of what makes yum/rpm slower than apt/deb.
> o hardcoding a file path kinda sucks.
> o This doesn't count as cross-distribution, since only yum/rpm support
> it (for now).

Whoa, whoah. We are PLD, you will be assimilated, all resistance is
futile. Poldek (out package manager) supports that feature and already
did around 2001. Neither us nor Jeff (author of upstream RPM whether
Fedora likes it or not) are looking forward to dropping file
information or file-based requirements. Please, no FUD :)

--
Patryk Zawadzki
Generated Content