[packagekit] GNOME summit and more about GPG keys

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Oct 10 09:34:06 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 10:41 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> I would recommend exposing such services on the *session* message bus
> so
> all I'd have to do in e.g. Totem or the Gimp or whatever would be to
> (this is python):
>
>  bus = dbus.Bus(dbus.Bus.TYPE_SESSION)
>  installer = dbus.Interface(bus.get_object("org.fd.PkgKit",
>                                            "/"),
>                                            "org.fd.PkgKit.Installer")
>  installer.InstallCodecs(["audio/mpeg" , "audio/wma9"])

Btw, you probably want to call this InstallCodecsGStreamer(),
InstallCodecsXine(), InstallCodecsHelix() and so forth so appropriate
plug-ins for the respective frameworks are installed.

(Because, I, for one, don't want PackageKit to install all the Xine
stuff if I'm using only GStreamer applications.)

And on Fedora you simply implement the back-end such that it adheres to
Fedora packaging guidelines, e.g. by the use of the packages having
appropriate Provides:codec=audio/mpeg or whatever. Btw, I think there
are no Fedora packaging guidelines about this (because no one did this
kind of integration yet) so it means you will need to work with the
Fedora packaging committee (or whatever it's called this week) to make
it happen.

In other words; don't make PackageKit proper too smart; punt that to the
distro-specific back-ends to figure what to do.

       David