[packagekit] Creating cache the first time

Ken VanDine ken at vandine.org
Fri Oct 12 09:59:14 PDT 2007

Here is the flow, user installs PK and reboots.  Opens up
pk-application and tries to do a search, gets no results.  He waits...
2 hours later he tries again, nothing... But he has been activily
using his computer.  I told him to run pkcon force-refresh and all is
happy again.  It is really only an issue for users that have never
populated the cache... and only until the system goes idle long enough
for it to kick in.  Perhaps we need a method to determine if there is
a cache, and if there isn't pk-application refreshes?

--Ken

On 10/12/07, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 11:51 -0400, Ken VanDine wrote:
> > Does refresh-cache only run when the system is idle?
>
> If the network is up and we are on AC power then yes, we refresh the
> cache on idle.
>
> > It makes sense
> > that it would... but I found an issue with that.  If the cache doesn't
> > exist, it should run on boot.
>
> Shouldn't the tool (e.g. Install) do a cache create if it's not there?
> What circumstance do you mean?
>
> >   Perhaps look for a refresh-cache
> > transaction, and if there is no previous refreshes force one on
> > startup.
>
> Ick, sounds non-clean. Can you give me an example pls. Thanks.
>
> Richard.

Ken VanDine
http://ken.vandine.org