[packagekit] Repo Controls

Robin Norwood rnorwood at redhat.com
Wed Oct 17 07:13:36 PDT 2007

Tim Lauridsen <tla at rasmil.dk> writes:

> 1.  (*) text/plain          ( ) text/html
>
> Richard Hughes wrote:
>> On Sat, 2007-10-13 at 17:12 -0700, Richard Hughes wrote:
>>
>>> +          <row>
>>> +            <entry>Get Repo List</entry>
>>> +          </row>
>>> +          <row>
>>> +            <entry>Repo Enable</entry>
>>> +          </row>
>>> +          <row>
>>> +            <entry>Repo Set Data</entry>
>>> +          </row>
>>>

>> Backend dudes: do you think this will be okay? For yum I'm guessing it
>> would be quite easy;
>>
>> "get-repo-list.py" should return:
>>
> this sounds fine to me, it is easy to implement
>> and "repo-enable.py fedora-development-debuginfo false" should disable
>> the repo. We don't have to do anything with repo-set-data.py yet, we
>> need to think about what is allowed, and what would make sense to
>> abstract.
>>
> There is an issue here, here is no persistence between the calls to
> the different yum helpers, so for this to work we have some choices to
> make.
> 1. repo-enable changes the repo enabled permanent by changing the
> enabled=' in there *.repo files. (UGLY)
> 2. write the packagekit repo state to some kind of conf file and make
> the helpers read and set the repo states from the conf file.
> 3. add a repolist parameter to all helpers.
>
> I prefer 2.

I don't know if I agree with that...it means the repos enabled for PK
will be different than for the other package management system (yum, or
whatever).  I realize we should play nice with the existing tools, but
if PK is intended to become a replacement frontend, then it seems ok to
me for PK to change their configuration.

-RN

--
Robin Norwood
Red Hat, Inc.