[packagekit] Removing backends/BACKENDS

Adrien BUSTANY madcat at mymadcat.com
Thu Oct 25 01:37:18 PDT 2007

Richard Hughes a écrit :
> Guys,
>
> One of the most frequent questions I get is "can my backend do $FOO?" -
> so I've pasted the backends/BACKENDS file into html/pk-faq.html for the
> website.
>
> This means these two can now get out of sync. I propose removing
> backends/BACKENDS and just suggest backend dudes edit the html file
> itself. Sane?
>
> Richard.

Or write a clever cron job to keep them in sync :-) Would be easy to do
this with a perl script for example... I don't have any solid argument
against modifying the html file, but I think that's cleaner, that way
for example we can keep the BACKENDS file in its simple format while we
can improve the html page a bit, and keep them in sync.
I propose the following solution :
1. Create a copy of pk-faq.html name pk-faq.tmpl
2. In that file remove the copy of the BACKENDS file, and put for
example a #BACKENDS keyword
3. The perl script will read the BACKENDS file, format it if we want,
and create pk-faq.html from the .tmpl replacing #BACKENDS with the right
content

I'll see if I can hack something quickly (if this solution is worth
something to someone)

Adrien BUSTANY