[packagekit] Categories/Groups in yum on a Fedora system

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 30 12:31:22 PDT 2007

Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 08:01 +0100, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
>
>>> GROUP_PROGRAMMING_WEB, GROUP_PROGRAMMING_JAVA, GROUP_PROGRAMMING_WEB?
>>>

>> Fine to me, but why GROUP_PROGRAMMING_WEB twice :)
>>

> I've added the rest, but I'm not sure how much we want to split the
> programming classes. I really don't want
> GROUP_PROGRAMMING_{every_language_known_to_man} in the enum list.

I Agree .

GROUP_PROGRAMMING_COBOL, GROUP_PROGRAMMING_PL1 etc is a bad idea

But here are some candidates:
GROUP_PROGRAMMING_LIBS
GROUP_PROGRAMMING_GNOME
GROUP_PROGRAMMING_KDE
GROUP_PROGRAMMING_TOOLS

It would be a good idea to split up the GROUP_DESKTOPS group
GROUP_DESKTOPS_GNOME
GROUP_DESKTOPS_KDE
GROUP_DESKTOPS_XFCE

A Gnome user will want to look at Gnome apps and a KDE user want to see KDE apps etc.

I still think some kind of TreeView with the be better as the number of groups grow.

-Programing    (GROUP_PROGRAMMING)
    Libraries  (GROUP_PROGRAMMING_LIBS)
    Gnome      (GROUP_PROGRAMMING_GNOME)
    KDE        (GROUP_PROGRAMMING_KDE)