[packagekit] Improved pkt tool

Ken VanDine ken at vandine.org
Fri Sep 7 07:10:19 PDT 2007

That is what i generally use too... pcon is very useful.   However, I
love pkt.py as an example python interface.  I will need to write a
few of these for very specific uses, so having a good example is very
nice.  Even better would be to create a PackageKit-python api, really
making it easy to create external apps to interface with PackageKit.

Some examples of things I plan to work on:
 * Hardware monitor, hal sees a device plugged in, call PK to install
the driver (if needed)
 * Distro major version upgrades, going from FL 1 to FL 2 will be
switching labels, so calling PK to update to
group-dist=foresight.rpath.org at fl:2

The distro upgrade tool will probably be something that runs at
startup but doesn't display an icon.  It will just monitor an rss feed
to see if it should suggest and update.  When it sees a major upgrade,
it will call PK to do the work and let the user confirm it.  These are
the types of upgrades that don't happen very often, but require some
extra info to perform.

--Ken

On 9/7/07, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/09/2007, Tom Parker <palfrey at tevp.net> wrote:
> > I've been recently playing around with an improved version of the pkt
> > tool (see tools/pkt.py). I'd originally built it as a one-shot "I want
> > something to test the apt backend without needing the full graphical
> > interface" tool, but I've been thinking about it as a possible
> > replacement for my main uses of apt-get/apt-cache/etc. 99% of the time,
> > I just want to install a couple of programs, or find something that
> > might do some task, or pretty much the use-cases for PackageKit.
>
> Have you seen pkcon and pkmon in /client? How does pkt compare to pkcon?
>
> pkcon search name power
>
> seems to work for me.
>
> Richard.

Ken VanDine