[packagekit] Package update policy

Robin Norwood rnorwood at redhat.com
Tue Sep 25 12:26:12 PDT 2007

Hi,

So how should package updates work for most users?  My feeling is that
most users don't care.  They just want updates.  Some users, such as the
risk averse, the control freaks, and those who have to (sometimes?) pay
for bandwidth, may want more control.

Here's the way I think it should work, to cover most users -

A UI that looks something like this:

-------------------------------
Update my system:

 o Daily
 o Weekly
 o Never

 [] Ask me before updating.
-------------------------------

So, assuming one of the first two options are ticked, updates are
checked for periodically.  If the 'ask' option is ticked, a window is
popped up (assuming a user is running the pk-applet) to interactively
install the updates.  Otherwise, the updates are downloaded and
installed in the background, with the state of any pk-applet showing
progress.

A nice 'future enhancement' might be another checkbox that says "Apply
security updates only"...pending backend support, of course.

Thoughts?  Flames?

-RN

--
Robin Norwood