[packagekit] Caching for APT backend (or how to get queries down to 0.5s)

Tom Parker palfrey at tevp.net
Wed Sep 26 14:07:07 PDT 2007

Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 20:27 +0200, Tom Parker wrote:
>> Haven't had much time to play with PackageKit recently (little things
>> like a PhD thesis to complete keep getting in my way)
> Dude, joking aside, complete the thesis first and hack on PackageKit
> second. In the grand scheme of things the thesis is 5000% more

I'm in the "let's process lots of supervisor's comments" stage, with
basically no coding, and using PackageKit to keep me from going nuts
when I've spent several hours trying to figure out how to rewrite a
block of text. Besides, PackageKit, and especially this bit, is so
different from what I'm writing about (embedded systems where 4kb of RAM
is typical), it's a good way to keep my perspective about the wider
world of computing!

>> Haven't pushed this yet, but can post the patch if any direct comments
>> on the code as opposed to comments on the idea come up.
>
> The idea is very sound. Could you pls post the patch just for me to cast
> my eye over please?

Attached. This is rough early work at the moment (automagically rebuilds
only if we can't find the table in the DB for example). Notable bugs
include the hacky way of detecting the rebuild (can do smarter things
with sqlite3_open_v2 without the create flag) and that description
fields are not fully filled in yet. Neither of these are hard to fix,
but I wanted to get a bit of discussion going on this now that I had it
in a place where I could talk about timings with at least some certainty.

Tom