[packagekit] license handling

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Apr 3 06:35:32 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 14:05 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Now, how much of that sounds insane? :-)

Pretty much all of it when you consider that licenses are typically a
per user thing, rather than a per host thing.  Each new user on the
system that tries to run specific software should have to accept or
reject the licensing agreement.  For that reason, I feel pretty strongly
that license agreement should come from the application itself at first
launch by each user, and if the user doesn't accept the license, the
program should fail to run.  Trying to do it at install time doesn't sit
well with me from a legal stand point, nor from a stand point of
"encouraging" vendors to use this method and interrupting what should be
non-interactive tasks.

--
Jesse Keating