[packagekit] license handling

Matthias Clasen matthias.clasen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 18:52:26 PDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Klaus Kaempf <kkaempf at suse.de> wrote:
>  >  So please allow the license prompt when updating packages.
>  >  Without it, PackageKit might not be usable for openSUSE.
>
>  We just cannot (and will not) do the EULA on upgrade - what if there
>  is no user present and it's automatic and unattended?

What happens to unattended updates if the policy requires the user to
enter a password ?
I guess the simplest answer here would be an update that requires
user-interaction fails when run unattended. Not the nicest user
experience, but hey, they chose to install that proprietary stuff...

>  Also, I would appreciate it if you didn't bully the issue with
>  statements like "...without it, PackageKit might not be usable for
>  openSUSE"
>
>  The reason comments like this won't work is:
>
>  * I don't use openSUSE
>  * I don't like software with EULAs
>  * I don't think per-system EULAs like this are legal
>  * It makes the code massively more complicated.

I guess we all don't get to pick our companies legal policies, so
flaming the opensuse guys over this won't help us.

While I fully agree that install-time EULAs are icky, and don't ever
want to see them in Fedora, I think that it would be good if we could
come up with a way to support this. After all, being
cross-distribution is one of the explicit goals of PackageKit.

Matthias