[packagekit] New api?: GetSize

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 02:53:37 PDT 2008

I've been thinking of a new API call:

GetSize(b=installed, as=packages)

if installed is TRUE, the package installed size is returned (how much
space does it take on disk) and if FALSE the download size (how much
bandwidth will it use).

The packages parameter will be an array of packages.

This new API will tell us exactly the size of the packages that have
been selected to update, and the installed size of any installed
packages. This allows us to show the user how many Mb's will be
downloaded (even my girlfriend understands 100Mb=long time,
100kb=instant) and also allows us to check for low disk space _before_
we try to install something like openarena.

Is this something your backend could support? Easy to add? Comments
please!