[packagekit] pkcon and familiarity

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Apr 13 16:02:13 PDT 2008

Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 01:52 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> * yum shell is very useful. I would like to see a pkcon equivalent.
>
> What's the point in yum shell - AFAICT, it just saves you typing pkcon
> in front of every transaction.

It allows you to batch process commands. IIRC, setting up a transaction
and tearing it down is what consumes a lot of time and yum shell does
that one single time. Try it

# yum shell
# remove foo
# install bar
# run

Refer in-built help and man yum-shell for more details. This can be
extended to support tab completion for packages and other nifty things.

> You mean look to see if the file exists, and then packages? Im not sure
> it works the other way round. I've added this to git.

Right

> pkcon search hal-info
> pkcon search details power
> pkcon search file /usr/bin/powertop

Yes.

> It's a description in pkcon - info seems too vague.
>
> Yup, that's a sane change - what about "repo-list" - that seems more
> clean.

> Why not just "get-depends"

In these cases, I think it just a matter of preference and keeping it
the same would help more even when it is not very "accurate". Slightly
different ends up being more confusing.

>> * In yum, enablerepo and disablerepo are for the current session while
>> in pkcon it is permanently. This is one place where the similarity
>> causes confusion.
>
> Nope, this has to be system wide due to the design of packagekit.

Sorry I wasn't being very clear. By current session, I meant in yum,
these commands are used to temporarily enable/disable a repository. Can
you add support for that?

Rahul