[packagekit] libpackagekit-gnome

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Apr 14 12:55:40 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 20:46 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 15:38 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > This is confusing. Please explain how this pseudo-code
> >  dbus_message_send (
> >    session_bus_connection,
> >    "org.freedesktop.PackageKit.SessionService.InstallFile",
> >    "/usr/share/clipart/ponies.png");
>
> Well, this would make the
> owner org.freedesktop.PackageKit.SessionService to actually do the
> install using libpackagekit, rather than the calling application (as the
> libpackagekit-gnome is in-process). This means we'll be showing the
> session daemon, not the calling application as the application trying to
> all the InstallPackage method.

Sure, but that's only in the PolicyKit authentication dialogs and that's
intended [1]. However your session-daemon that _provides_ this service
would show the consent prompt, e.g. "The application Totem wants to
install XYZ", long before the PolicyKit authentication dialog would ever
appear.

You didn't reply to my other questions. Slightly annoying ;-)

     David

[1] : Keep in mind that authentication prompts are almost always an
evil. On a properly configured the user should have the authorizations
that he needs. So for example if the package to install is signed by a
trusted party there wouldn't even be an authentication dialog as we'd
grant .install-trusted-package to the user (either explicitly or he
gains the it implicitly via authentication and retains it).