[packagekit] Introduction

Mario mario.danic at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 22:10:37 PDT 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 1:45 AM, Patrick Klingemann
<patrick.klingemann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,

Hey Patrick,
> My name is Patrick Klingemann.  I've been passively following PackageKit
> development since the announcement of its inclusion in Fedora 9.  I noticed
> a bug in application while testing Fedora 9 (rawhide) and submitted it to
> the Fedora bugzilla hoping to help the cause.  I learned a little along the
> way and became interested in contributing.  I'm new to Open Source
> development, but I'm experienced with Open Source Software and I am an
> experienced developer.  My purpose will be to learn, to stay out of the way
> of the maintainers and core developers and hopefully to contribute something
> of value.

Welcome to the world of PackageKit!
> Richard mentioned that he plans to integrate PackageKit with Seahorse and
> after doing some research, this looks like a very interesting area in which
> to contribute, however, I am open to suggestions and direction.
Do come to #packagekit, so we can talk. We are more then glad to provide
useful hints and guide you as you venture into PK codebase.

> I was able to pull down the source from the git repository and I'm hoping
> for a little direction to get started tinkering.  What tools are most
> commonly used for development of PackageKit (IDE's, build tools, etc.)?  Is
I'd say use whatever you want for development, it doesn't even have to be IDE.
Vim, Emacs, Anjuta, KDevelop, etc .... all works. As far as build system goes,
we are using autotools.
> there any other information that would be important to know before I get
> started?
Have fun ;)

KR,
M.