[packagekit] Problem running example from FAQ

Dorian Perkins dperkins at google.com
Tue Aug 5 15:57:21 PDT 2008

Hello Again,

After some help in #packagekit (thanks to james_w), I am currently using the
following compile command:

gcc $(pkg-config --cflags dbus-glib-1) installer.c

just for clarity, $(pkg-config --cflags dbus-glib-1) resolves to:

-I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/include -I/usr/include/glib-2.0
-I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include

I am currently getting the following compile time errors:

installer.c:9: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
installer.c:9: error: conflicting types for 'connection'
installer.c:4: error: previous declaration of 'connection' was here
installer.c:9: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a
cast
installer.c:9: error: initializer element is not constant
installer.c:10: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
installer.c:10: error: conflicting types for 'proxy'
installer.c:5: error: previous declaration of 'proxy' was here
installer.c:13: warning: passing argument 1 of 'dbus_g_proxy_new_for_name'
makes pointer from integer without a cast
installer.c:13: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a
cast
installer.c:13: error: initializer element is not constant
installer.c:15: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
installer.c:17: warning: passing argument 1 of 'dbus_g_proxy_call' makes
pointer from integer without a cast
installer.c:17: error: initializer element is not constant
installer.c:18: error: expected identifier or '(' before 'if'

It seems that the *gboolean* type declared is unknown. The code I am using
is exactly what I previously quoted in my original email, except that I have
added the following line to the very top of the file in an attempt to fix
the error:

#include <glib.h>

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. On a side note, the python example at
http://www.packagekit.org/pk-faq.html#session-methods works just fine. Not
sure why I am having so much trouble getting the C example to work.

Best,

Dorian