[packagekit] GStreamer Structure

Sebastian Heinlein glatzor at ubuntu.com
Sat Dec 6 15:49:20 PST 2008

Hello,

recently the provided Gstreamer plugins have been added to the package
meta data in Debian and therefor in Ubuntu too.

When making use of this in the APT backend, I was wondering about all
the structure rewriting which happens.

This is an example request of GStreamer which it gives to the installer
plugin (in this case requesting for a mp3 decoder):

gstreamer|0.10|totem|MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3) decoder|decoder-audio/mpeg,
mpegversion=(int)1, layer=(int)3 (MPEG Layer 3 (MP3) decoder

An here is what PackageKit gives to the backend:

gstreamer0.10(decoder-audio/mpeg)(mpgversion=1)(layer=3)

What I need is to get the Gst object type and the structure to convert
it into caps again:

Package.hasGstreamerPlugin("decoder", "audio/mpeg, version=1, layer=3")

How do you deal with this in yum internally?

Could we try to find a format which would avoid all this rewriting?

Cheers,

Sebastian