[packagekit] Notes on UI notifications

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 14:13:30 PST 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 15:38 -0600, Jud Craft wrote:
> Right.  I simply meant that the _result_ notification popups of
> PackageKit processes should not time out (by default, in my opinion),
> since the user of the computer should always be aware of them.

Right, there's different sort of warnings, and the probably need to be
handled differently. The code is in src/gpk-watch.c and src/gpk-client.c
-- search for notify_notification_new.

> I don't suppose that PackageKit keeps an internal log of all
> transactions, which could be browsed?  This sounds like it would be
> very useful for verification and debug purposes.

Three logs actually, a log in messages if it's configured in the config
file, a debug log in /var/log/PackageKit, but most importantly in the
transaction database, which you can see with gpk-log. There's a
screenshot here: http://www.packagekit.org/img/gpk-log.png