[packagekit] Notes on UI notifications

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 11 08:10:44 PST 2008

Jud Craft [2008-12-10 17:23 -0600]:
> Serious, I can't think of why the user should be kept in the dark when
> his system is updated; we're not expecting him to make any drastic
> decisions, but there's no reason that he shouldn't be aware of it.  It
> helps educate and empower him ever so slightly.

The issue is rather the other way around: Notifications are missed too
easily, and if they time out, or you click them away, you have no
obvious way to get it back.

Situations where the user has to react should just ask the question in
a dialog if an application is already running anyway. If there is no
app, then it's more user friendly to have an indicator in the tray,
and a notification pointing to it. The notification itself should not
be used to trigger any actions.

Martin