[packagekit] RFC: Add a GetTestingUpdates method?

Sebastian Heinlein glatzor at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 12 09:36:32 PST 2008

Am Freitag, den 12.12.2008, 13:22 +0000 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> In Fedora-land we've got a problem in that people don't use the -testing
> repositories much at all, and therefore updates get little testing
> before being pushed to stable. I think the only way to do this is make
> enabling the testing repos easy, and also provide new users with a
> "teaser" that there are other updates available.

It seems to me that you want to solve a social/process problem by a
technical solution. Breaking stable systems is a problem of the SRU
process. By the way if you push the testing area too much it is
obsolete.

The updates should be not selected by default? Do you really want the
user to click through the whole list of updates?

Since we also have got a staging area for stable release updates, I
would like to see a testing enum too.

Some years ago I put some work in abstracting the repository list so
that it is easy for an user to enable testing/proposed updates for all
Ubuntu repositories/components easily. See screenshot.

Cheers,

Sebastian