[packagekit] PackageKit-gnome: saner icons usage

Matthias Clasen matthias.clasen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 12:08:29 PST 2008

On Feb 3, 2008 1:22 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 10:33 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > Using information from desktop files may make sense once you have an
> > actual _application_ installer, not a _package_ installer. Ie you'd
> > have to loose the 1-1 relation between list rows and packages. As
> > things are now, you are mixing information from the package (package
> > name) with information from some desktop file inside. What if there
> > are multiple desktop files inside ?
>
> Well, we'll use the last desktop file. I don't think this has been much
> of an issue so far. If the package does not ship a desktop file then it
> falls back to the untranslated information from the repos.

[mclasen at localhost ~]$ rpm -ql control-center | grep desktop$ | wc -l
16

> Sure. I think it's safe to assume that any desktop file
> in /usr/share/applications is an application, and not an autostart file.

Things you can find in that directory include capplets and things like
"About Gnome" or "About Fedora", which while technically
"applications" are not really what we want to show, I think. For a
real application installer, you'd want to look for desktop files that
install a menu entry in the "Applications" menu. Of course, that is
not trivial to find out...

Matthias