[packagekit] Suggestion

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 09:46:23 PST 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 13:17 +0100, Pedro Macanás wrote:
> I suggest create something similar to apt-zip, to update Linux
> packages (in a computer without Internet connection) using a Windows
> computer with Internet access. It could include: apt-zip or similar
> program, Cygwin packages (to execute the program in Windows ) and Wget
> (to download the package).

What's the use case for this? Someone setting up a Linux computer and
needing to download some sort of driver to get online? Or for a Linux
computer that is never connected to the Internet to get updates?

If it's the later, I think some sort of integration with a "service
pack" type CD would be useful, but only when we've identified valid use
cases and sane interactions for this. Try not to think about what the
tools can (or could) do, think about what the user is trying to achieve.
Ideas welcome.