[packagekit] PackageKit frontends idea

Sebastian Heinlein glatzor at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 11 07:11:49 PST 2008

Am Montag, den 11.02.2008, 16:04 +0100 schrieb Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek:
> Sebastian Heinlein pisze:
> > Am Sonntag, den 10.02.2008, 19:31 +0100 schrieb Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I wonder if PKit could get some love for UI.
> >>
> >> YaST recently implemented very nice and idiot-friendly UI.
> >
> > I would see this differently. Too many options and too much information.
> >
> > The package selector seems to be an universal package management tool
> > and not a simple installer/upgrader.
>
> It's true, YaST's UI is overloaded, but the "Changes" block is nice indeed.

Red-Carpet introduced this concept some years ago. But I also never found a good way to integrate it into the user interface.

> Simple way to undo... Just click "undo" and doing something with some
> package i cancelled.

Would be interesting what happens if a lot of changes have been queued.
There is a scroll bar? Search option?

> I like it very much.
>
> Also, I like using wizard widget in such apps.

PackageKit removes the need for a wizard/assitant. It allows to create
fire and forget user interfaces.