[packagekit] The dbus backend

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 23:47:19 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 22:21 -0500, Robin Norwood wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 23:28:06 +0000
> Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > rnorwood and I have been working on the yum2 dbus backend. I've
> > actually got the yum2 backend to run now, with search times down from
> > 3 seconds to 0.7 seconds. So quite a dramatic speedup. Good stuff to
> > look forward to.
>
> Wait, it works?  Hey, it works!  Neat!  It wasn't working at all for me
> until I read your message and tried again.  I guess dbus just needed to
> think about things for a bit.

I merged a few fixes. I don't pretend to "do" python, but I think I'm
getting better :-)

> Ok, I don't get it.  Why keep the text at all if you want ints?  Why
> not pass everything up the stack as ints, and let the UI translate from
> int -> string?
>
> enum.py:
> STATUS_CANCEL = 4
> STATUS_CLEANUP = 7

Then we break the spawned backends like yum and conary :-) Hence why we
need new constants. I'm currently erring at sending text and decoding,
so people could rely on just a little bit of ABI stability without
grepping pk-enum.c.