[packagekit] Suggestion

PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE macanas_ped at gva.es
Tue Feb 12 00:54:57 PST 2008

-----Mensaje original-----
De: packagekit-bounces at lists.freedesktop.org
[mailto:packagekit-bounces at lists.freedesktop.org] En nombre de Alexander
Larsson
Enviado el: lunes, 11 de febrero de 2008 20:30
Para: Richard Hughes
CC: mvo at debian.org; PackageKit users and developers list
Asunto: Re: [packagekit] Suggestion

> What concerns me with the nautilus approach is that it ties us to
GNOME,
> rather than allowing use on XFCE and KDE. Would the ServicePack stuff
be
> better done in packagekitd, as the backend has to be able to do a HAL
> Lock() on the device when the transaction starts.

Not really gnome only. You just define a layout and then both Gnome and
other systems can sniff for it, just like they currently sniff for
autorun and things like dcim.

We can use Free Desktop, so it can be used in all the Free Desktop
environments (KDE, XFCE, Gnome...) and Ncurses (for a lighter interface,
a semi-graphical interface).

Regards.

P.S.: On the other hand, I think Linux would have also a similar tool
for Internet Connection Sharing (i.e using WiFi). But this is a second
step, first I have to be able to connect to the Internet, installing the
PPP packages and Huawei E220 linux kernel driver.