[packagekit] Service Packs, PackageKit (and Opyum)

Debarshi Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 10:29:43 PST 2008

> Okay, what about a webservice where you upload a package list and it
> sends you a .tar of what you want to download? The same can be done for
> targeted security updates. I'm just not sure if this scales.

Sounds nice.

Opyum has a concept of a profile, which is basically a snapshot of the
target system's rpmdb (/var/lib/rpm). So a possible workflow would be:

+ User logs into his account in the Web service.
+ Uploads the profile of the system he wants to install to or update
to the Web service.
+ Clicks all the packages he is interested in through the browser. Hits 'apply'.
+ Out comes a link to a service-pack (or Yum-pack).
+ User downloads the service-pack and logs out.

>From this point using the service pack should not need any network connection.

To manage storage on the server, the Web service can periodically
clean out all the created packs, etc..

The killer idea is to make sure that creation of the pack should be OS
independent as far as the client is concerned.

Makes sense?

Cheers,
Debarshi
--