[packagekit] Opyum, downloadable list and package webserver

PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE macanas_ped at gva.es
Wed Feb 13 06:09:47 PST 2008

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Debarshi Ray
CC: PackageKit users and developers list
Asunto: Re: [packagekit] Service Packs, PackageKit (and Opyum): downloadable list

>> How this program creates the list of the files to download (including
> dependencies and the files that the user has installed in the
> unconnected computer)?.

>In the same way Yum resolves the dependencies while installing or
updating packages.

I think in the same way Synaptic does it.

>> Can one automatically open this list file and download the files in
> Windows (there is where I have the Internet connection).

>There is no such list file that is created. Moreover you will need an
Internet connection even to create such a list file.

This is the BIG problem. I need Internet to download packages and I need packages to establish the Internet connection.

I think at least Yum would create a list of packages installed (and broken packages) in the unconnected computer (imagine a Debian computer).

We could call this the "structure" and include it in the Profile.

So, if I open the Profile in the connected computer (imagine a Fedora Computer), the Fedora computer knows I want to download the broken package´s  dependencies (i.e., python package in which a hardware driver is based - depends on - ).

>For users who don't have Internet connection on their GNU/Linux
machines, one can run a web-service which will let them create
service-packs using a Web browser.

Very well put. This can be a VERY GOOD IDEA also.

The user would upload the structure file to the webserver (so, the user would not download any of the files s/he has installed). And receive a list of packages to download (or a zip o similar compressed file from the server).

Also the user could use a spider to download all the file to a removable media (USB key, DVD) or second hard disk (i.e. USB disk).

Pedro.