[packagekit] initial work on the apt dbus backend

Robin Norwood rnorwood at redhat.com
Wed Feb 13 11:59:47 PST 2008

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 19:27:36 +0000
Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

> > o The constants issue Richard brought up on the list the other day.
>
> I fixed that - keep to strings. The string -> enum conversion wouldn't
> even register a time on my profiling.

Cool.

> > o Need to lock the yum backend in a more granular way than it does
> > now
> > - ie, at the beginning and end of each transaction, instead of at
> > the beginning and end of the daemon's life.
>
> Totally.

Actually from our discussion on IRC, I *think* that's happening
already.  Need to test it a bit.

> > o Need to make sure the c backend is killing off the daemon when it
> > exits, and maybe add a timeout so the yum backend doesn't continue
> > to live if the c backend goes away unexpectedly.
>
> Timeout is sane, but we probably need to make it quite long. The
> daemon should already kill the backend on nice exit (i.e. not ctrl-c)

Absolutely - this is just so it doesn't get stuck and an hour later yum
still doesn't work.

> > Since PACKAGEKIT_DBUS_INTERFACE is different per-backend, I'm not
> > sure if there's a pythonic way to abstract that into a base class,
> > but keep the PACKAGEKIT_DBUS_INTERFACE constant per-child-class.
> > Anyone with python skills know?  That way most of the signals could
> > just go in the base class, like the old yum/python backends.
>
> That could rock.

Been talking to Owen here at RH about it, and he doesn't see an easier
way.  I hate to have all this cargo-culted code, but the way the dbus
decorators are written we may have to live with it.

-RN

--
Robin Norwood
Red Hat, Inc.