[packagekit] Simpler search

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 15 00:34:20 PST 2008

Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 10:51 +0100, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
>> The only way to do live search in a sane way is to have the complete
>> list of packageid in mem, in the frontend.
>
> Totally agree.
>
>> i have made an 'get-packages <filter>' method in the yum backend to play
>> with.
>
> OOooooh. I've wanted to add something that for a while now.
>
>> # time sudo ./get-packages.py none | wc -l
>> 13535
>
> After the release I'll add the API for this, and then we can add this
> into the UI. Good man.
>
> Richard.
>
> p.s. Could you also add this to yum2 please? Thanks.

i have extended the get-packages a little:

get-packages <filters> [<show-desc>]

<show-desc> := 'yes'|'no'|'only'
	'yes'  : show packages and descriptions
         'no'   : show packages only (Default)
	'only' : show descriptions only

Then it is possible for an frontend to do type ahead search for all
mayor package information, it is also possible to make a package view
show all the packages and use a search to reduce the the shown packages,
like most  package managers gui's do (yumex,pirut,smart,yast,synaptic
etc). I am not saying that we should use this approach in
pk-application, but i think the API should support it.

Tim