[packagekit] PackageKitExtra - package abstraction

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 03:18:21 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 12:00 +0100, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> > Well yes, but we need to get the metadata from somewhere - and none
> of
> > the repo structures give us this sort of localised and icon
> information.
> > Worst case scenario, we just display the box icon and en_US text.
>
> An online service would be more useful (with pk pulling data on
> demand). I for one refuse to extract desktop files and icons from 50k+
> packages just to shove them into another package. I would also not
> install such a package as it's a great way to waste disk space and
> bandwidth (why would I need all the desktop files when I only use 20
> apps? and each contains its own desktop files).

I know, packaging these as a separate package isn't particularly pretty.
It's not trivial hacking koji to spit out the desktop files somewhere
else for fedora. I also really don't want to try to download every
package in fedora on my laptop!

>From a disk space point of view it's not actually that bad. If you ship
the pre-processed extra-data.db file (sqlite compressed) it's only a few
Mb, rather than tons of small .desktop files.

I'm not sure PK can pull the data on demand from the net, as the daemon
is running as root and really shouldn't be downloading stuff itself.
Plus, we've not really got all the infrastructure with mugshot that I
had hoped.