[packagekit] Properties and Supported

Robin Norwood rnorwood at redhat.com
Tue Feb 19 08:25:25 PST 2008

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:03:12 +0000
Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 16:59 +0100, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> > Later on I learn that part of the system is going to be designed
> > around a single third-party vendor (Canonical).
>
> Do you mean PackageKit? If so, I think it's important to discuss ways
> of working with canonical, and making changes to the API if it's sane
> to do so. At the moment we've just added a supported filter, and I
> guess I'll be also adding a supported boolean in GetDescription. I
> can't see many big changes there. I don't want to get in the way of
> ubuntu, but I don't want the system designed around it.

I'm not convinced about the whole 'supported' thing myself, since there
are many different meanings of the word.  But, if the guys working on
that backend think it's useful, it doesn't really impact other backends
that much.  The yum backend can either ignore it, or if we can find a
useful definition, we can include it.  I do think PK should make clear
somehow what 'supported' means in that context, though.  That's up to
the guys working on that backend though, I guess.

-RN

--
Robin Norwood
Red Hat, Inc.